Skip to content

caution: rant straight ahead

March 20, 2019

It’s not that I don’t have enough to worry about just around the farm.  Our septic system may be starting to back up on us.  We’re behind in our wood-cutting because I’m post-op from hernia surgery.  And we’re experiencing the driest March in our eleven years of record-keeping here.  As we welcome the triumphant return of spring, we have only 33 millimetres of rain so far this month, with no more predicted.  We usually have 300.  Plus we just survived the coldest February in those eleven years.

But all this blanches in the toxic glare of Trump.  I suppose that, as the most powerful man in the world since Stan Lee died, he can only punch down; but now he’s punching six feet under ground.  His attacks on John McCain are so odious that even U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson of Georgia, a solid conservative, called them “deplorable”.

McCain himself was fairly conservative, but he did stray from the elephant herd often enough to earn his reputation as a maverick.  I respected his principles.  My heart leapt when he turned his thumb down on Donnie’s health care near-disaster, Mitch McConnell standing by with arms folded, even quieter than usual.

I share a kinship with McCain as a Vietnam veteran.  I didn’t go over there with the starry-eyed belief that I would be keeping the Viet Cong out of our shopping malls.  However, I understand the sacrifices that all the troops there made, and McCain bore the brunt more than most of us.

So while Trump obsesses about McCain when he’s not obsessing about George and Kellyanne Conway, he can’t be bothered to condemn the rabid racism of the New Zealand slaughter.  Apparently, the national emergency at the border resolved itself.

He’ll continue to strike out as the steady stream of bad news from the Mueller probe and all the skeletons it’s finding gets steadier.  How Trump maintains his approval rating through all this is baffling and dismaying.

As Trump and his henchboy Steve King drop broad hints that they have all the muscle and munitions for a civil war, I call bullshit.  Donnie thinks he has the military behind him if push comes to gunfire, but I don’t think so.  He has fucked over the troops and their leaders too much.  Their sworn loyalty is to the Constitution.

Rest easy, John.  Your family is holding up with a grace that Trump can’t fathom or buy.

16 Comments
  1. Michael Hall permalink
    March 20, 2019 3:20 pm

Joined a Quadra Island Group on facebook. Found a cousin (Laura-lee Luoma). She sent me this.

• March 21, 2019 3:34 pm

Thank you for dropping by, Michael. Do you live on the island?

2. ALBERT MCCLARAN permalink
    March 20, 2019 4:03 pm

MAN – IF LESS RAIN PISSES YOU OFF THIS MUCH – JUST THINK WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THAT SHITTER DOES BACK UP.
    MR MCCAIN DID BEAR A BRUNT FROM NAM – SO DID A BUNCH OF US! TELL ME WHY THE VETERANS ARE STILL IN SUCH POOR SHAPE? NOBODY GIVES A BACKED UP SEPTIC SYSTEM! MAYBE I MISSED A BLOG SOMEWHERE – SORRY ABOUT THAT.
    THAT GEORGIA FELLOW JOINED THE AIR NATIONAL GUARD – HUH? TOOK OVER DADDYS COMPANY – SMELL JUST LIKE THIS COLLEGE SCAM.
    AND I GUESS YOU WERE FOR THAT AFFORDABLE CARE ACT THE GREAT OLE UAS HAD? JUST A QUESTION – HERNIA SURGERY? FROM CHOPPING WOOD? HOW DID THE CANADIAN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM HELP OUT THERE? REALLY – I WANT TO KNOW.

WHERE DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS BULL SHIT ABOUT A CIVIL WAR! YOU BETTER HOPE NOT – CAUSE I WILL BE COMING TO LIVE WITH YOU – HA!
    LOVE YOU MAN
    BIG AL

• March 21, 2019 3:50 pm

A lot to unpack there, Big Al. I would definitely live with a full septic system if it meant the wells and aquifers on the island were filling up from rain. It’s alarming that the VA system is still so screwed up, but I can’t figure out how Trump can blame that on McCain. Johnny Isakson did, indeed, do the National Guard dodge in the Vietnam era, but so did Dubya. I do support the ACA. I got the hernia because I have this rare medical condition called “being 72 years old”. It was diagnosed in January, but I got to jump the queue waiting for surgery because of a cancellation. Steve King came up with the bullshit about a civil war. I don’t think it will happen, but if so we’ve got plenty of room for you (if you can tolerate a full septic system).
      I’ll e-mail you some more hot scoop. Love you, too.

3. John Bozich permalink
    March 20, 2019 5:51 pm

well put, AP. we’ll do a little rain dance for you back in Pittsburg. Spring has sprung

Bozich

• March 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Thank you, JB. I’m hoping to get back to P’burg in the fall, and will definitely look you and the Colonel up.

4. March 20, 2019 6:36 pm

Anyone who voted for Trump needed more brain cells to start with.. they haven’t gained any, and that’s why he still has support.

• March 21, 2019 3:52 pm

Hey, Beanie! How have you been? How was your winter?

5. Judith permalink
    March 20, 2019 7:07 pm

I am so sick of people enjoying the sunny weather as the gardener here at the condo I lost a lot of plants to the two-week freeze prior to the snow which broke the frozen limbs and snow is not precipitation. We need rain badly I count on it for the plants we do not have an adequate irrigation system here. I am afraid we will lose even more. I hope the rain comes soon.
    As for Trump’s ratings, I can’t believe them they are like Obamas!

• March 21, 2019 4:01 pm

It’s terrible. If we don’t get a ton of rain in April, when it usually tapers off, we’ll probably have to turn off the micro-hydro by the end of the month.
      When we first installed it 12 years ago, we could count on using it well into July.

6. March 21, 2019 8:32 am

I love it when you update. -Kate

• March 21, 2019 3:57 pm

Kate! It’s been far too long since we e-talked. How was winter on the prairie?

• March 23, 2019 10:55 am

It was very very very cold (at least part of Jan and most all of Feb) and not enough snow for the farmers to be optimistic about their crops this summer if we don’t get more rain than last year.
        This morning from my back step I could hear Canada geese, and a pair of crows flew by. Both a first for me this spring. So everything’s looking up, I say! Even though I don’t mind those 30-some-below days at all. I have ski pants and I know how to use ’em.
        -Kate

• March 23, 2019 12:13 pm

The robins are back here. We’re still waiting for the swallows and hummingbirds. And one bufflehead duck has yet to leave.

7. Anonymous permalink
    March 24, 2019 12:02 pm

Well said. Grace is a word that will never be associated with Donnie boy.

Comments are closed.